Wedding Update, Phase #1 (Venue)
Linganore *finally* got back to us three weeks later and said “Oh that sounds great. We’re full in May. How’s April?”. So they’re off the list because they made me cranky.
The zoo is kinda neat; you can hire “animal ambassadors” to come to the reception, so we could have penguins wandering around for an hour or so (until they get tired and have to go home). Unfortunately, the pavillion for the ceremony is oddly shaped and we’re not hugely fond of the reception area they offered, so when the only redeeming quality is penguins, it’s time to look at other venues. (But I mean, come on, PENGUINS.)
So our top two choices are the Science Center and the Constellation. We started the day at the Science Center. They recommend the ceremony in the Planetarium (and the projector is included in the rental price!) and then moving upstairs to the rooftop terrace for the reception, where there’s a big tent and a gorgeous view of the Inner Harbor. Because we have to start after the museum closes, start time for the ceremony would be 7pm and we could go till 11. If people still want to party, there’s always power plant live down the street. Disadvantage: they only have one caterer. Aramark is a big company, but they are willing to work with us, but it’ll probably be pricier. They have no problems with getting us local wines/beers, and when I said we’re interested in exploring local food, she said to give her a list of farms in the area and they can contact them and get some pricing for us. She put a courtesy two-week hold on May 15th for us.
And then there’s the Constellation. Also in the Inner Harbor, also a museum. We can have it 6pm-11pm, and again people can continue to party at the nearby bars. We’d get the whole ship, including the captain’s cabin on the lower level which is perfect for a buffet. The ship is big enough for 300+ men to live on for months at a time, so our 75-80 people will have PLENTY of room. They have a list of preferred caterers, so we have more selection there. The big difficulty is that the lower deck has less head room, so that’s a concern for tall people. Ben and I are planning to head up with Dad sometime next week (before we have to make a decision) to see if it’d be too short for him and the other tall people. They have May 1st available.
So that’s where things currently stand. We have officially run up against our first tough decision! Next step: compare catering options and make a decision.